WeddingLovely has officially shut its doors, after nearly nine years in business. I kind of feel like I should round that up to nearly a decade because it blows my mind. It’s been a wonderful, thrilling, exciting, terrifying, bittersweet time — I’ve learned so much, and I’ve felt so much joy working with you and all our customers and friends around the world.
I’m keeping the blog up with no updates, to celebrate all the good times and wonderful features we’ve had over the years, and closed the rest of our properties. Thank you all for your support over the years.
I’m here with a heavy heart to let you know that I’ll be shutting down WeddingLovely at the end of the year after nearly eight years in business.
I taught myself how to code and launched WeddingLovely by myself in January 2011 because I wanted a wedding vendor directory that focused on local and small businesses. I’ve learned so much from running WeddingLovely and loved all the stories and successes from vendors in our vendor network, and the brides and grooms using our online wedding planner.
Unfortunately, this year we’ve had a lot of problems with revenue due to some major Google SEO changes. I’ve also looked back over the last few years and found WeddingLovely’s features have been out of date and have grown stale, and there have been many new vendor-focused businesses that have launched that do what we’ve been doing and doing it better. And I personally lost my passion for the wedding industry and decided that it’s time for me to spend my focus elsewhere.
I’m still looking at how the business will shut down — at the moment, the plan is to close our properties (https://weddinglovely.com, https://weddinglovely.com/vendors, as well as our specialized directories like https://weddinginvitelove.com and others) at the end of the year. Ideally I’ll keep the blog up so you continue to get traffic to your websites through that, but that may have to close as well when I dissolve the corporation. Regardless, I’ll be in touch with more detail later once everything is figured out.
Thank you to everyone for your support over the years!
The wedding industry, as I’m sure everyone knows, runs off of advertising. The vast majority of vendor directories are pay-for-play, meaning that they only list vendors who can pay their rates.
Here at WeddingLovely, admittedly we started out with that model — but I’ve never felt comfortable with it. That’s one of the reasons why we will always have free profiles on our directories, because why advertise yourself as having the best vendors when you exclude those that can’t pay?
We’re taking another giant step forward to our goal of being the most reputable and comprehensive wedding vendor directory in the world. Our former “upgraded” accounts are going away, replaced with our new Certified Lovely Vendors™ program.
Each and every vendor accepted into this program will be personally reviewed and reference-checked by one of WeddingLovely’s staff, and will be subject to quality standards.
- Your company is reviewed personally by WeddingLovely staff.
- Certified Lovely Vendor badge after approval.
- Top placement in our search results.
- Add up to 10 additional photos to your business profile.
- Multiple location support so your profile shows up on searches for all your business locations.
- Placement on the WeddingLovely and WeddingLovely Vendor Guide homepages (rotated with other certified accounts)
- Access to WeddingLovely’s Pinterest group board where you can share up to 5 pins per day with our 26,000+ Pinterest followers.
- Yearly interview and every-other-month wedding features on the WeddingLovely Blog (currently 50,000 views/month)
- Dedicated promotion the day of blog features on our social media accounts — up to seven dedicated days per year. Access to nearly 45,000 followers across WeddingLovely social channels.
See our full media kit here.
There is a $190/year fee to become a Certified Lovely Vendor, to cover the time spent by our staff reviewing vendor applications. Denied applications will have their fee refunded. We find this price to be fair and worthwhile, but if there are any amazing vendors who need some extra help, we’ll be rolling out an assistance program soon that will reduce or waive this fee.
Interested in becoming a Certified Lovely Vendor? Sign up for a vendor profile here if you’re not already a vendor in our network, and if you’re already with us, log into your account to apply.
WeddingLovely’s properties all have had some sort of facelift recently and it was beyond time to finally redesign the blog!
Cleaner, crisper, responsive (so you can look at the site on your phone!), faster, and prettier — we’re pretty proud of what’s up so far. We’re still adding some small touches and fixing a few small bugs and design issues as they pop up, so if you see if anything you think we should improve, don’t hesitate to reach out or leave a note in the comments with what you think!
I love Uber. I love Uber. If you haven’t heard of Uber yet, Uber is an awesome app you can use to call a taxi, private black car, or rideshare. Instead of calling a traditional taxi service, you can use the app on your phone to set your destination, see nearby drivers, track your driver heading towards you (no wondering where the driver is as you’re waiting) and pay automatically for your fare (no calculating tip awkwardly at the end of the drive!)
In San Francisco (near where I am from and Uber’s original launching city), grabbing a taxi is pretty much near impossible. With Uber, I’m generally guaranteed a ride with no hassle within minutes of requesting a car. Amazing. It’s pretty much my fav new app.
More and more awesome couples are using Uber for their wedding transportation, for themselves and their guests, especially now that Uber has launched in most cities and countries worldwide. Even if they aren’t launched in your city yet, it’s worth it to grab the app since it’s invaluable when traveling and you’re in a strange city with strange cab companies.
Just imagine how pleased I was when Uber approached WeddingLovely for a great partnership — Uber is offering all new users $30 off their first ride.
- Simply download the app (available for iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone)
- Enter the promo code WLOVELY…
- …and you’ll get $30 deducted from your fare. Most rides will come in under than amount, so it’s basically giving you a free ride!
Not only can you use this code for yourself, but you can also print out the flyer above (download a large printable version here) and pass out to your wedding guests, friends, family, clients, and customers.
Love Uber like I do? Let us know your stories in the comments, and happy Uber-ing!
We love our online wedding planning guide — launched awhile ago, we help couples walk through their wedding planning online and connect them with some of our most awesome vendors that we work with through our wedding vendor guide.
Up until now, it was a paid product with a free trial, but we have decided that it was time to work with as many wonderful couples as possible — so we’ve made our planning guide 100% free.
The planning guide comes with a ton of amazing features, including:
- Walk through the biggest steps in planning your wedding, like finding a venue.
- Local venue and vendor recommendations included in your task pages.
- Vendor favoriting and reviewing all integrated.
- Note-taking — keep track of all the little things you need to remember.
- Printable checklist so you can keep track of everything you need to do at once.
- Partner and planner integration — invite others to help plan with you.
- One-on-one wedding advice — ping WeddingLovely with specific questions and we’ll help you out.
- Email reminders to ping you every few weeks with inspiration and ideas.
- Pinterest board integration — keep your inspiration in mind as you plan your wedding.
- Partnership with Appy Couple — get an Appy account for just $35 through WeddingLovely.
Think that’s pretty awesome? Now it doesn’t cost a cent.
Plan your wedding with WeddingLovely today!
WeddingLovely is a bit over three years old (wow) and I’ve been running all design, development, and sales solo full-time for awhile now! I work with a few awesome remote assistants to help out with marketing, and now WeddingLovely is hiring for our largest remote position yet — Community Manager.
Nearly two years ago, WeddingLovely launched our online planning guide, designed to walk couples through the process of their wedding. Now, we’re pleased to announce the 2.0 release of the planning guide — completely rewritten and redesigned — as well as a partnership with the best wedding website and wedding app company, Appy Couple.
We originally launched with native hosted wedding websites, but wedding planning and wedding vendors has always been our main focus. We’re sunsetting the wedding website feature for all new WeddingLovely customers, and instead offering a payment option which includes a free Appy Couple wedding app account.
As a result, WeddingLovely’s prices are dropping to either a $35 one-time payment for the wedding planning app, or $70 for the combined WeddingLovely + Appy Couple account.
In addition to the design, WeddingLovely’s planning guide has added several new features:
- Better wedding vendor integration: WeddingLovely works with over 3,100+ wedding vendors worldwide, and couples can browse nearby vendors, favorite, and contact vendors directly from their planning guide.
- Partner, family, and wedding party collaboration: Users can invite their partner, planner, and others to plan with them on the same account.
- Pinterest boards integration: Couples can add their Pinterest boards directly into their planning pages as a widget, integrating their inspiration into their planning.
- Gender-neutral language: The “bride” is no longer the primary planner in the modern day couple — WeddingLovely welcomes same-sex couples and planning grooms.
- No advertisements, anywhere: WeddingLovely is a paid product so all advice and recommendations can be advertisement-free.
Getting married? We’d love to have you try out WeddingLovely’s planning guide — all accounts come with a 14-day free trial, no credit card required!
Click here to try a wedding planning account today.
So excited to finally launch this! Any questions or comments? Leave them below!
It’s so funny writing this post; I never thought that I (the founder of a wedding startup) would elope in Las Vegas — and here I am a married woman! My partner Andrey and I have been together for almost five years and we were planning a Las Vegas trip anyways, so we thought — why not just get married while we were there?
I kind of consider this an engagement (regardless of the ring on my finger), and a year or so from now I’d love to have a big party/reception for all of our friends and family to celebrate with us — one here where I live in California, and another in Toronto where Andrey’s from.
I’m going to start writing up some more in-depth posts covering our planning for the Vegas marriage — spoiler, it was harder and more stressful than I thought it would be! — as well as all the plans I’m making for our reception a year from now. :) Stay tuned!
~ Mrs. Osborn (aaah that feels so weird!)
photo credit: JD Hancock via photopin cc
Happy holidays, lovelies! The blog is going to shut down for two weeks (until Jan. 6th), and I wanted to pop in and wish everyone a wonderful holiday and a happy new year. I’ve had such an amazing year with WeddingLovely, and I’m so excited for the next!
See you in 2014!
PS: Honestly I grabbed this photo because I thought it was super pretty, and then I noticed the Green Lantern character. Ha! I’m keeping it.