Today’s stationer interview is with Johnna of Twila & Co. based in Fredericksburg, VA! Enjoy:
How did you get started doing wedding invitations?
I actually started out as a graphic designer and illustrator, and just did wedding invitations on the side. I started to enjoy using more color, fonts and graphics as well as helping excited brides for their big day! Invitations are exciting and are the first thing guests see before the wedding
Read the full interview after the cut!
Every girl wants the perfect save the dates and invitations. These are the first things that the guests get before arriving for the actual event. It sets the tone, mood, and style for the rest of the wedding. So as a designer, I want to get it right! Actually, better yet, I want to get it perfect! Because I want you as a bride to have exactly what you want.
What is your favorite color combination?
I love using blue hues. It creates such a tranquil and refreshing look. Can I say my least favorite color to work with too? Haha It’s purple. Purple is really hard to match exactly right.
What is the most unique invitation you have designed?
I had a couple from Pittsburgh want their Save the Dates to be an Andy Warhol style series of Ketchup Bottles since Heinz is based out of Pittsburgh. So I put their information on the ketchup bottle graphic and stamped it in 3 colors across the Save the Date.
Do you have a favorite typeface?
Geosans is my go-to, and I also love Bombshell.
What is the most bizarre request you have received?
A bride wanted their invitations to have a burned edge look to it and actually wanted me to burn the edges of the paper by hand.
Ampersand or the word “and?”
Any advice for brides?
1. Take Photos of Everything: bridesmaids dresses, florals, Gifts? We can take the exact color of your bridesmaids dresses or flowers and use it in your invites.
2. Use Pinterest – Pin invitations you like and tell the designer WHY you like them: I like this font; I love this color; the graphics are just what I’m looking for, etc.
3. Don’t say “I want this, but different.” Clarify what you like about particular invitations you see and what you want different. I want this invitation, but a different font; I want this layout, but a different graphic; I want these colors and font, a but different layout; so on and so on. Remember: Specifics are your best friend!
4. Notice Fonts – Do a little research! Pinterest is a GREAT place to look for font, but try for specifics and names.
5. Be Decisive – This wedding is about you and what YOU want! Don’t be afraid to make a final decision! Ultimately, it’s your day. And as a designer, I just want to make you happy and help make your day a little better by making sure you have the exact invitations, save the dates, and table numbers that you could want.
Photo Credits: Instant de vie Photography, Birds of a Feather Photography and Katie Nesbitt Photography
Do you offer more than just stationery?
Yes! We offer stickers, wine labels, bags, name cards, table cards, anything that can be printed, we do!
Thanks Johnna! For more about Twila & Co., please visit her WeddingLovely Vendor Guide Profile or head straight to her website.
Do you have any questions or comments for Johnna? Add them to the comments below!