This wonderful guide to traditional wedding vows comes to us from our friends at Wedding Forward based in Toronto, ON!
It is difficult to put feelings into words, this is why some couples go with traditional wedding vows. Personal vows are the new trend and finding the right words can be easy for a select few. However, when in doubt, it is easy and safe to fall back on the customary vows used around the world. Style of wedding ceremony and couples’ wedding vows has experienced many modifications over the years. But, there are some standard vows for both bride or groom with writer’s block.
Read the full post after the cut!
How To Start Life with the Right Words
You want everything to be perfect. The ceremony, the clothes, the music, and most of all the words you say to each other. You want to get it right from the start, so you have to use the words which work for your special relationship. The decision to go with either traditional vows or personal vows is due to the couple. Just one step out of many towards their happily ever after.
Traditional vs. Personalized Vows
Traditional wedding vows are definitely but not too different from personalized wedding vows. It is difficult to make a comparison however, because every wedding is unique on its own. Traditional wedding vows are not as standard or as boring as they used to be. For the ultimate commitment, choosing the right words is very important. Finding the right vows to fit your promise to each other might not be as difficult as you imagine. Some couples much prefer personalized vows in form of short anecdotes here and there. Some couples even want vows with scripts for their kids, so they can say, “I do too”. For this, it is possible to use traditional vows as a foundation and for inspiration. These vows, traditional or personalized, not that dissimilar. Both of them make promises and a true commitment to lifelong love.
Traditional Wedding Vows to Inspire You
Below are a few traditional vows which could act as a template of sorts to help you pen down that final vow.
- “I [name], take you [name], to be my [husband/wife], my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together.
- “I, [name], take you, [name], to be my friend, my lover, the [mother/father] of my children and my [husband/wife]. I will be yours in times of plenty and in times of want, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sorrow, in times of failure and in times of triumph. I promise to cherish and respect you, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity. “
- “I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.”
- “[Name], I take you to be my lawfully wedded [husband/wife]. Before these witnesses, I vow to love you and care for you as long as we both shall live. I take you with all of your faults and your strengths as I offer myself to you with all of my faults and strengths. I will help you when you need help, and I will turn to you when I need help. I choose you as the person with whom I will spend my life.”
- “On this day, I give you my heart, My promise, That I will walk with you, Hand in hand, Wherever our journey leads us, Living, learning, loving, Together, Forever.”
Key Vows Around the Globe
There’s different types of wedding vows around the globe. Two of them we have already discussed at length above. A few of the key vows include:
- Traditional wedding Vows.
- Personalized Wedding Vows.
- Religious Wedding Vows.
There are so many types of wedding vows apart from the traditional wedding vows and other key vows we have mentioned here. These days there are zombie vows, funny vows, nautical type vows, and many more.
Wonderful, thanks for sharing! For more information about Wedding Forward, please visit their WeddingLovely Vendor Guide profile.
Do you have any qustions or comments for Wedding Forward? Add them to the comments below!